Friday, July 08, 2011

End of the Space Age

The Space Shuttle Atlantis rides off into the sunset (photo from 2006, courtesy of NASA).

Two weeks before I was born, in April, 1981, the first Space Shuttle mission went into orbit over Cape Canaveral.

Now, thirty years later, the Space Shuttle will soon make its final landing, never to rise again. Earthbound, at the beginning of my thirties, I'm left with a strange feelings of nostalgia for my old childhood expectations of the twenty-first century.

I feel like I've outlived the future.


1 comment:

Joel said...

I know how you feel. I remember being in NYC and looking at the model for the new WTC, as well as being in Florida and looking at a model of the proposed shuttle.

I thought, "some day when they are built I will go see them in person".

Now it is too late...